Sunday, September 25, 2011

Just hanging out with my main character

I'm sitting here at my computer right now, hanging out with the main character of my next story. I've been having a lot of trouble with this one because I really want to write it, but I want to be respectful and fair, and I want to understand her, even though I'm not at all convinced she understands herself. It is based on a story I heard a few years ago that has been haunting me ever since, and I really want to do it justice. My main character has been hanging out in the back of my brain for a few weeks now and I feel like I'm getting to know her a little bit. I'm starting to like her more than I expected to and I'm starting to feel empathy for her, which I wasn't really expecting. She doesn't even have a name yet and I don't know if she's going to. Right now I kind of want to give her a hug, and also a slap. I feel frustrated with her, like she's a friend that I just can't get through to.

But I've left her long enough. I'd better get back before she gets lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment