Sunday, October 9, 2011

I get by with a little help from my daughter

This afternoon, in between fetching snacks, searching for Strawberry Shortcake figurines, and putting the caps back on abandoned markers, I tried to work on my third short story. My 6-year-old asked what I was doing, so I started to read her the first page. After a few paragraphs, she said: "This is going to take all day, isn't it?" Which led me to believe that it must be very engaging. Then she decided that she would help me with ideas. The following are her suggestions:

1. "Then she gets hit from a car. Write that down."

2. "She stinks like a rotten egg."

3. "She's dripping with blood."

4. "Her face is squished like a big plate."

No, she did not come up with all of these morbid quotations in a vacuum. My story does in fact have some morbidity to it. I must admit, the simile in the fourth one intrigues me.

Then, she sat down with her markers and drew an illustration to go with my story. "Here is her face when she's beautiful. And here is her face squished and covered with blood." I told her that if I ever need an illustrator, she's hired.

"Here she is when she was beautiful, and here she is when she is squished and bloody." - Avary

In this one, Avary adapted my story and made it her own. She drew five pictures, then put them in order. 1. She gets married; 2. She has a baby; 3. They are a family; 4. She is a mother; 5. She is dead.

3 comments:

  1. Please, please, please share those illustrations in some form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I don't have kids, but WHAT are you reading to your child? Are you warping her little brain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your kids... I haven't seen them in ages! It would be really great to see her illustrations, and I love her description of the face as 'squished like a big plate' as well, I hope to see that in writing someday.
    Last spring I read the traditional version of Hansel and Gretal to my storytime kids and at the end when Gretal boots the old witch into the stove and she dies there, and the kids return home, one mother said to me, "Thanks my son is going to have nightmares tonight" and I just thought, "You're welcome," because dreams are one way that we learn to cope with fear, and stories are one way that we learn to cope with scary or tough situations. So I don't know where you're sweet daughter gets her inspiration, but I think it's healthy and you're doing a great job! (says the girl who wrote a children's book about a troll who eats redheads)

    ReplyDelete