Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Contemplation of Dr. Kathleen Wall's blog, Blue Duets

This semester, I have been following the blog of author and University of Regina professor Kathleen Wall at Blueduets.blogspot.com. Her comments tend to be very philosophical and grounded in real life. She really looks at the world thoroughly, sees it, experiences it, contemplates it. In reading her posts, I get a real sense of being inside her head and riding the waves of her consciousness. It’s a deep, yet unpretentious, blog, which I like.
In her most recent post, Dr. Wall talks about going to visit an aunt with her father on Christmas Eve when she was a child. She says that her own memories of it do not agree with the memories of her sister. She describes her childhood memories like this:  
So this silent, capable man who is driving us:  what is he thinking?  Is he feeling guilty for not visiting at other times of the year?  Does he see this as a simple duty he must discharge?  What role does my mother's impatience play in this pilgrimage?  What is his tie to Aunt Nell, given that he lost his mother when he was in his early teens?”
I find this interesting because recently I have begun thinking of my parents in this way as well, as repositories of stories that are ultimately unknowable to me. They are like novels that I can try to decode, but often, in my classes, I feel like I could write several completely different and contradictory essays about the same text, so can I ever really know my parents, or anyone else? Or can I only know them according to the analytic approach I choose to apply to them? Are people who they are, or who I decide they are? Am I me, or am I a multitude of varieties of myself, as decided by everyone who meets me?
I also think about this a lot when I’m with my kids. I wonder what they make of me, and what they’ll make of me when they grow up. I wonder what memories they’re making and how they’re going to re-interpret those memories later in life. I wonder how they’re interpreting my behaviour, what they might one day wonder about or realize about me. I wonder if I will be a bit of an enigma to them, like Dr. Wall’s father seems to be to her, according to her quotation.
Overall, Dr. Wall’s blog gives a real sense of personal engagement with the world, both physically and meditatively. There’s something about it that feels soothing to me. Reading it, I feel like I’m sitting next to her with a cup of coffee and a cat in my lap, too, contemplating the changing colour of the sky.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Natasha,
    I found myself here via a surprising link on Cassidy's blog. Thank you for your kind and thoughtful response to what I've been writing. Every writer needs someone to tell then what the experience of reading them is like. "Deep and unpretentious." Yup: it's what I've been aiming for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Botox adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. Anti cellulite machine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. USA skincare manufacturer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great knowledge, do anyone mind merely reference back to it skin whitening laser treatment cost

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for providing recent updates about the concern, I anticipate read more. There are so many types of diseases nowadays which are creating health issues which are mostly undiscoverable. for example Fluoroquinolones, Fluoroquinolones are a class of antibiotics approved to treat or prevent certain bacterial infections. we are finding the treatments of it here how to heal from floxing

    ReplyDelete
  7. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. Dermatologist in India Dermatologists are medical doctors who specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases of the skin, hair, nails and mucus membrane. Some dermatologists are also surgeons.

    ReplyDelete