Monday, November 14, 2011

Why I am not entitled to be an adult

In far too many ways, I have wholeheartedly embraced being a full-fledged adult. Yet, in other ways, I cannot stop being a child. Take, for instance, my Jasmine Becket-Griffith fairy collection that I keep next to my computer.

This montage changes regularly because I have about forty of them. It is so much more fun, and less lonely, to write stories and essays with these little creatures (a.k.a. inanimate objects) sitting next to me. It all began with this one:


She's called "Once Upon a Midnight Dreary" and is holding a teeny-tiny copy of Poe's "The Raven." I was only going to get this one, but clearly these figurines quickly became a crack-like addiction for me, albeit with less debilitating repercussions. But I figure that since I'm already such a prematurely old fart in so many ways, they help to balance me out by bringing out a bit of the kid in me that has been repressed by those evil things called 'responsibilities'. Also, I find them oddly inspiring for some reason.

7 comments:

  1. According to my wife, I am also a 'Prematurely old fart.' Maybe it's a writing thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I find it hard to believe that you show any signs of age. You are always a spark of youthful energy, fun, and humour in any class I have had with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oddly enough those little fairies remind me of the dream I woke up from this morning. The darn thing was so eerie, I wish I could experience it again so I could write about it.
    I agree with Jared, you are so far from old, it's not even on the charts yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I shared these with everyone. This is the highest number of responses I've ever had on any one post!

    Jessie and Jared, I love you for defending my youthful vitality. But I think you need to be married to me for a month because I'm pretty sure you would change your mind. I turn into a grumpy old lady pretty quickly when there are chores to do and responsibilities to attend to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I have a collection of fairy figurines... :) Different make, but still...same concept!

    ReplyDelete